The Grey Stuff (It's Delicious!)
Fair warning: I have never been to Disney World...I'm a Disneyland girl. So, I have never eaten at Be Our Guest...I have never tried Disney's version of "the grey stuff." But, that doesn't mean I don't get what a brilliant concept it is! Ever since "Beauty and the Beast" was released, I have wondered what this delicious, mysterious grey stuff is. I think it's genius that it made it's way onto a Disney menu. I wish it would make it's way to Disneyland!
I came across many different Pinterest copycat recipes that were all the same (note: this is not the official Disney recipe) and, imagine my surprise when I saw that it's nothing more than instant pudding, Cool Whip, milk, and Oreos! I had to try it!
1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix
3 tablespoons instant chocolate pudding mix
1.5 cups whole or 2% milk
1 8-oz. tub whipped topping, thawed
15 original Oreo cookies (not double-stuffed)
edible pearl sprinkles
That's it! Easy ingredients, right? Here's how you put it all together:
1. Whisk together vanilla pudding mix and milk. Refrigerate for 5-10 minutes.
2. Place Oreos in a food processor and blend until they are a fine crumb consistency. (The smaller the crumbs the better!)
3. Mix Oreo crumbs into the pudding mixture.
4. Gently fold in the whipped topping until well combined.
5. Add 3 tbs. of chocolate pudding mix and stir.
6. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
7. When you are ready to serve, pipe the grey-ish mixture using a piping bag and a star tip and top with edible pearl sprinkles. (PRO TIP: make sure your star tip has a large enough opening. Mine was a little to narrow and larger Oreo crumbs get trapped!)
There you have it! Simple? Yes! Rich and creamy? Yes! Delicious, as Lumiere once sang to us? You bet!
Try it and let us know what you think...especially if you've had the Disney World version! How does it compare???